drop down kerb - peter de stapleigh way

A teenage pupil was injured after being hit by a vehicle as he crossed the busy Peter De Stapleigh Way road in Nantwich.

The 17-year-old, believed to be a Brine Leas School student, was crossing at a drop down cut-through from the Stapeley Gardens estate on his way to school when the accident happened.

Police say he was taken to hospital as a precaution but did not suffer serious injuries.

A Cheshire Police spokesman said: “At 8.27am on Tuesday 12 October police were called to reports of a collision between a car and a pedestrian on Peter Destapleigh Way in Nantwich.

“Officers attended the scene and found a 17-year-old local boy had been involved in a collision with a white Ford Fiesta.

“The teenager was checked by paramedics at the scene and taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

“No arrests have been made.”

The cut through was installed to allow people on the growing Stapeley Gardens development to get across the road towards nearby shops and schools.

But some have criticised the site of the cut through, with nearby school warning signs sited further down the road.

One resident posted on social media: “Perhaps we should all sign a petition for a proper pedestrian crossing.

“Absolutely ludicrous that there isn’t one coming from the estate in the first place.”

6 Comments

  1. M Jones says:

    David Wilson is an example of “It Will Do” they were asked to make a pathway for a crossing by the lights, but once again builders only do the basics towards finishing an estate, it was a right of way they closed for over 3 years so without due consideration it needed a right of way to upgrade it was left open, they should be made to put in more community amenities at the initial stage with planning, the council are subsidising these builders and it is clearly not working, this should really have not happened, to an adult, however, you have to consider even younger children crossing here when there is a perfectly better verge to walk down instead

  2. Jane T says:

    Cheshire east need to install a proper crossing and signage. There is also no reason why the speed limit remains at 40mph on that stretch of road compared to 30mph just past the junction.

    The young man is lucky he wasn’t killed due to the speed of traffic. Terrible accident and terrible shame for this to have to happen for people to take notice as I know people on the new estate have been begging Cheshire East to listen for some time

  3. mark garven says:

    This was always an ancient right of way through the fields well before the houses on both sides and the road was built.
    There is a clear view left and right but these days everyone walks with ear pods and looking at mobiles, so not surprised really, but there should be more warning like yellow rumble strips to highlight the unmarked crossing as cars speed down this stretch daily and you do need to be alert, the fault lies in trying to do this on the cheap, how everything must be cobbled up to go to saving money

  4. Andrew says:

    I told CEC when this was put in it was going to lead to an accidient and a proper crossing should have been put in at the traffic lights by the pub.

    • Viz says:

      I have been raising this as an issue – having 3 pedestrian crossings in close proximity isn’t the answer (a path should be made down to either of the other crossings).

      Surely the whole length of the road needs to be 30mph, not just for safety but for noise and sound pollution too.

      • Erin says:

        The issue goes back to the inadequate foresight for when the planning of the development was given the go ahead. Surely someone recognised that a housing development means families, means children needing to go to school, in turn the schools are on the opposite side of a busy road….this means a safe crossing is necessary?

        There is not one party to blame for this ineptitude, this lack of planning should have been addressed as part of the planning consents ….please recognise the failures of the actions at that time,

        The council, highways etc must do the right thing without delay, or are they delaying and will they only act when an accident has a more tragic outcome?

        Local residents need to be vocal to get this sorted, pressure the council into acting!

        Well done to those who have got this issue thus far, but you can’t do it alone…..come on Stapeley, let your voice be heard for the benefit of your community!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.

*

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.