Two against Rushall - Sean Cooke, Nantwich Town (pic by Simon J Newbury) sent off at Buxton

Nantwich Town recorded a superb win over promotion rivals Rushall Olympic at Dales Lane.

A Sean Cooke double say them come from a goal down to secure three points and move just two points off the play-offs.

The Dabbers had early chances to go ahead, as Joe Mwasile and the returning Sean Cooke both had chances.

They fell behind 10 minutes before half time, as Pics captain Aaron Forde scored a superb 25 yard strike.

After the break, the Dabbers equalised through Cooke after a well-taken counter attack goal.

And they edged in front 10 minutes from time as Cooke grabbed his second with a looping finish.

Nantwich added gloss with a third through Matt Bell.

Neil Sorvel and Danny Griggs managed the team with Phil Parkinson ill.

The first half chance went to Rushall after less than a minute, as Forde flicked a header towards goal, but it was weak and easy for Gyollai.

Cooke had the Dabbers first chance as he spun and fired over the bar.

Ryan Brooke had a great opening on five minutes, but could only direct a free header wide of goal.

The Dabbers were fortunate to not fall behind on 16 minutes when they were caught out at the back.

Mo Diop advanced on goal, but his cut back to Forde was blocked and scrambled to safety.

With 10 minutes to go until half time, the Dabbers fell behind to an excellent finish.

Forde picked up the ball 25 yards from goal and unleashed a stunning strike into the top corner past a diving Gyollai.

The Dabbers looked to respond as the weather improved, with Abadaki cutting inside and curling just over.

Brooke had the final chance of the first half as he shot straight at Arnold.

Nantwich wasted no time in getting back into the game in the second half.

From a Rushall corner, they broke at speed, with Abadaki beating the Rushall defence for pace.

He drew the keeper then unselfishly squared for Cooke, who made no mistake to equalise.

Rushall stepped up the pressure but the Nantwich defence held them at bay, as the game remained open.

The Dabbers could have gone ahead on 63 minutes when a cut back found Bell, but his shot was blocked.

With 20 minutes to go, the Dabbers made a double change, as Khaellem Bailey-Nicholls and Matty Ashbrook came on for Brooke and Mwasile.

Pics dangerman Joe Hull headed wide from a corner as Rushall remained a threat.

But the other end, the Dabbers kept pressing and eventually got their reward with just over 10 minutes to go.

After neat attacking play, the ball fell to Cooke.

He fired the ball on goal and it hit a Rushall player and rebounded over Arnold into the back of the net.

Abadaki then had a shot cleared off the line before the game was delayed on 90 minutes as Bailey-Nicholls fell awkwardly on his shoulder.

He was forced off and was replaced by Steve Jones.

Moments later, the Dabbers sealed victory with a deserved third.

Cooke was played in down the left and he squared to a wide open Jones.

He forced a great save from Arnold, but the ball fell to Bell, who made no mistake.

Nantwich Town: Dan Gyollai, Andy White, Ibou Touray, Ben Harrison, Curtis Jones, Sam Hall(c), Joe Mwasile(Matty Ashbrook, 70), Matt Bell, Ryan Brooke(Khaellem Bailey-Nicholls, 70(Steve Jones, 91)), Sean Cooke, Osebi Abadaki. Unused subs: Wayne Riley, Joel Stair

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.