Scorer at Marine for Clayton - goal at Barwell inside 39 seconds - Harry Clayton

A superb goalkeeping display from Marine stopper Martin Fearon frustrated Nantwich Town who were held 1-1 at the Marine Travel Arena, writes Steve Sharman.

The Dabbers took an early lead through Harry Clayton (pictured) who fired home from close range following a goal mouth scramble before Josh Davies headed in the equaliser on the hour mark.

But it was Fearon who starred for the Mariners as he made fine saves to deny Clayton, Matt Bell and Joe Mwasile.

It was the Dabbers who started the game well and they could have had a penalty after seven minutes as full-back Courtney Wildin looked to be tripped in the box but the referee waved play on.

Sean Cooke had a sight of goal as he had time to control Caspar Hughes’ corner before the midfielder fired over the bar.

The Dabbers looked threatening down the right and Mwasile and Jamie Morgan combined well before the latter squared to Bell who could only shoot over.

But the first goal did come after a goal mouth scramble saw Clayton first to the ball and he fired past Fearon from close range.

It could well have been two soon after as Fearon produced a fine save to tip Cooke’s stunning shot from distance over the bar.

At the other end Myles Boney had to be alert as he made a fine reaction save to stop Adam Hughes snap shot.

Marine started the second half brighter and Morgan made a great clearance underneath his crossbar after a dangerous ball in from the right.

The Dabbers responded and Cole was put through on goal but his first effort blocked, and his second was saved by Fearon.

Two minutes later and Fearon was at it again as Clayton looked to have got in behind the keeper, but the Marine stopper made a brilliant recovery save to deny a certain goal.

Stair then glanced a Bell corner wide as Nantwich looked to increase their lead.

But on the hour mark, Marine equalised through Davies who rose highest to head in a left wing corner.

The goal gave the hosts confidence to look for a second as they won a number of corners but were unable to convert as the Dabbers stood firm.

Fifteen minutes from time it required a fine challenge from Stair to deny a second Marine goal as the defender’s short back pass was pounced upon by Danny Mitchley, but the Dabbers’ defender got back in time to clear the ball away.

With the game entering the last ten minutes, the Dabbers looked for a winner.

Fearon made two more excellent saves, palming away Bell’s drive from the edge of the box, before he required a strong hand to deny Mwasile who had weaved his way into the box.

Despite four minutes of added time, neither side could find a winning goal as the Dabbers took a well earned point back to Cheshire.

Next up, the Dabbers welcome Farsley Celtic to the Weaver on Saturday with a 3pm kick off, before an Easter Monday fixture away at Sutton Coldfield.

Nantwich Town: Boney, Morgan, Wildin, Stair, Bourne, Bell, Mwasile, Hughes (Mullarkey 90), Clayton, Cooke, Cole (Cotterell 79′). Subs not used: McDonald, Wakefield, Jones

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.