Nantwich Town eye the ball v Salford City

Nantwich Town were unlucky to lose to a last minute goal at home to Salford City – despite having Harry Cain in their side!

The Dabbers provided a stern test for the National League side and almost held on for a deserved draw.

But a goal-mouth scramble at the death saw the ball prodded past keeper Andy Wycherley.

Earlier, Lois Maynard had given Salford the lead in the 18th minute when the visitors hit Nantwich on the break and he fired home clinically.

Wycherley was called into action a number of times before the break to keep the score down to 1-0 at half-time.

But Nantwich boss Dave Cooke produced a master-stroke when he introduced Harry Cain in the second half.

And he went close to replicating the real Kane’s header against Tunisia in the 81st minute.

Second-half - a 90th minute winner for Salford from the head of Jake Beesley

Three minutes later, it was Cain who won a free-kick which was swung in for Jack Higginbotham to power home a header and equalise.

The Dabbers deserved the leveller with their second half performance.

But Salford, who were promoted last season, won it with what turned out to be the last action of the game.

Jake Beesley rose highest to nod home and make it 2-1.

Next up for Nantwich is pre-season game away at Newcastle Town this Saturday July 14, kick off 3pm.

(pics by Jonathan White)

Toby Mullarkey eyes the ball (1)

Second-half action - Nantwich goal - header from Jack Higginbotham (1)

Second-half action - Andy Wycherley in goal for Nantwich (1)

First-half - 0-1- Salford City goal from Lois Maynard (1)

Manager Dave Cooke peruses the squad

First-half - Salford City manager Graham Alexander shouts his orders (1)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.