Second-half - injury time winner from Danny Glover who is injured during his winning kick (1)

A dramatic injury time winner helped Nantwich Town overcome higher league Chester FC in the Cheshire Senior Cup quarter-finals.

The Dabbers’ 1-0 victory at the Weaver Stadium secured them a semi-final spot.

And Dave Cooke’s men are one step nearer to retaining the trophy they won last year.

Danny Glover’s 90th minute strike in front of almost 300 fans was the decider as Nantwich struggled to overcome 10-man Chester.

Before the game, there was a minute’s applause from teams and supporters in honour of England legend Gordon Banks, who died aged 81 yesterday, and for Cardiff City’s Emiliano Sala, who’s death in a plane crash was confirmed earlier this week.

Recent high profile signing Ricardo Fuller was given a run-out for Nantwich and he showed early signs of his ability.

First-half - Ricardo Fuller (1)

Ricardo Fuller

He linked up well with Sean Cooke and Callum Saunders to create a number of half chances.

The best came on 25 minutes when a cross found Toby Mullarkey who crashed a header against the Chester bar.

The visitors always posed a threat on the counter, but Nantwich defended solidly.

Then on 42 minutes, the game changed in Dabbers’ favour as Chester were reduced to 10 men.

George Green appeared to go into a challenge on Fuller with both feet, and the referee adjudged it dangerous play and brandished a straight red.

Nantwich pressed throughout the second period, with Morgan and Fuller both being denied by Chester keeper King.

First-half - red card for Chester FC number 9 George Green (1)

Red card for George Green

But Chester also posed a threat on the break and Will Jaaskelainen had to be alert on more than one occasion.

Luke Walsh and Danny Glover came off the subs’ bench in the second period, and it was those two who combined to set up the late winner.

A fine cross from Walsh towards the back post was headed down by Steve Jones which forced King into a save.

He could only parry out as far as Glover who fired in a half volley for the winner.

(pics courtesy of Jonathan White)

Second-half - Sean Cooke eyes the ball (1)

Second-half - Luke Walsh crosses the ball (1)

First-half - Jamie Morgan fights for the ball (1)

First-half - Chester FC win a header from Sean Cooke (1)

Pre-match - one minute applause to remember the lives of Emiliano Sala, David Ibbotson and also Gordon Banks (1)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.