By Ashley Houghton
Nantwich Town succumbed to a second half onslaught as they lost 4-1 at Kendal Town to make it four away league games without a win.

Michael Lennon gave the Dabbers the lead but three goals in ten minutes from Danny Wisdon, Kieran Walmsley and Jordan Connerton as well as a late Mark Jackson header pulled the Cumbrians away from the relegation zone.

Nantwich made four changes to the side that beat Northwich Villa 5-1 with Jon Brain, Aleksandrs Solovjovs, Brian Summerskill and Niall Maguire all returning.

Kendal came close to taking the lead on 11 minutes, Walmsley won a free-kick 22 yards from goal and picked himself up to take it and force a great save from Brain.

Shaun Gray also had a golden opportunity to put the Cumbrians ahead but having lost his marker he headed over from six yards.

The Dabbers got better as the first half went on, Niall Maguire was fouled by Ciaran Donnelly and Ben Mills sent the resulting free kick just over.

Nantwich’s best chance of the first half fell to Maguire, after good interplay from Lennon and Mills the midfielder broke into the area and flashed his shot over the left hand post.

The deadlock was broken just after half time; Maguire slid the ball through to Lennon who powerfully smashed past Craig Dootson.

That lead lasted only two minutes though; Donnelly’s corner was headed towards goal by Wisdon only to be excellently saved by Brain, but Wisdon was quickest to the rebound and left the Dabbers keeper with no chance.

Kendal took the lead almost immediately after their equaliser, good interplay from Connerton and Ashley Dunn forced a good save from Brain but again the follow up was slammed home, this time by Walmsley.

The game was taken away from Nantwich on the hour mark as Connerton, on loan from Crewe Alexandra, marked his second Kendal debut with a goal. The ex-Lancaster City man reacted quickest to a loose ball in the area to double the home side’s advantage.

The three points were sealed for the hosts in the closing stages, substitute Mark Jackson headed Gary McKevatt’s cross home to sum up a miserable afternoon for Jimmy Quinn’s men.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.