Grantham Town score from the spot against Nantwich Town (pic by Simon J Newbury)

By Ashley Houghton
Nantwich Town fell to their first home defeat of the campaign as Grantham Town took all three points back to Lincolnshire.

The visitors continued their impressive start to the Evo-Stik Premier League campaign with a 2-0 win at the Weaver Stadium.

A Lee Potts penalty and a 30-yard strike from Martin Ball meant the damage was done inside the first-half for The Gingerbreads.

Jimmy Quinn made two changes to the side that lost at Ashton United on Bank Holiday Monday with Darren Moss and Mark Beesley replacing Niall Maguire and Chris Flynn.

The Lincolnshire side were by far the quicker out of the blocks as Potts went close on the volley from a Ben Saunders flick on after just five minutes.

The visitors were awarded a penalty on ten minutes as DarrenMoss was adjudged to have felled Karl Demidh in the area and Potts made no mistake in burying the spot-kick into Jonny Brain’s left hand corner.

Nantwich failed to create many clear openings and went closest when Beesley broke the offside trap but was thwarted by James Martin in The Gingerbreads goal.

Grantham were the better side throughout, and went close minutes later as Demidh forced a sharp save from Brain.

The lead was doubled on the stroke of half-time as Martin Ball was given space and he struck a thunderbolt from 30 yards leaving Brainwith little chance.

Nantwich struggled to get into the game and the closest they went was 20 minutes from time when Rod McDonald headed Caspar Hughes’ free-kick against the post.

Grantham could have further stretched the lead in the late stages but Demidh was again thwarted by Brain.

(All pics by Simon J Newbury Photography)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.