Nantwich Town v North Ferriby United Nov 3 2012

By Ashley Houghton
Nantwich Town boss Jimmy Quinn blamed defensive errors after they lost 3-2 to North Ferriby United at the Weaver Stadium.

Two goals from Anthony Wilson and a Ryan Kendall winner stole the points for the visitors.

It had looked good for the Dabbers after Sean Cooke and Si Everall, making his second Nantwich debut, gave them the advantage over the Evo-Stik Premier League leaders.

Quinn, who made three changes to the side that lost on penalties to AFC Fylde in midweek, described his side’s defending as criminal.

He said: “We’ve given two bad goals away, firstly the goal just before half-time which gave Ferriby a massive boost.

“Our lads have got to understand the importance of the timing of the match. Our experienced players could have done a lot better.

“We conceded a goal two minutes after half-time which was criminal, to be honest though the team with the most appetite to win, won that game.”

The visitors took the lead after 18 minutes when Wilson volleyed home from six yards after Danny Clarke’s strike had hit the post.

The Dabbers struck back five minutes later through Cooke.

The former Crewe Alexandra youth allowed Chris Flynn’s throw in to run across him before unleashing a sweet left foot strike into the bottom left-hand corner.

Nantwich turned the first-half on its head minutes later as Everall latched on to Rod McDonald’s long ball and beat three defenders before curling into the top right hand corner.

“I couldn’t ask for any more from Simon on his return,” Quinn said.

“They’re pretty mean at the back and he worked hard all game. His goal was a great individual effort, he used his pace and took it really well.”

But the Dabbers surrendered their lead in first-half stoppage time as Nantwich’s backline switched off Wilson crept in behind and prodded past Jon Brain, who had earlier made two good saves to protect the lead for the hosts.

The Villagers regained the lead just two minutes into the second-half as Kendall found space in the area to head Ryan Williams’ cross into the top corner.

The closest Nantwich came in reply was when Everall flicked Cooke’s free-kick goalwards but desperate defending from United protected their lead and earned them a valuable three points.

Quinn says his players have a lot of hard work ahead if they are to keep up with the leading pack.

“The players will be worked very hard in training on Tuesday make no mistake about that,” he added.

“Our home form needs to improve and we know it’s just a case of cutting the silly defensive errors out.”

Nantwich: Brain, Flynn, Foster (Hughes, 85), Smith, Bailey ©, McDonald, Cooke, McLachlan (Maguire, 74), Everall, Wilson, Short (Lane, 62). Subs: Moss, Campbell.

North Ferriby United: Nicklin, Lisles, Peat, King, Anderson, Ridley, Clarke, Fry ©, Wilson (Muldoon, 75), Kendall (Bolder, 87), Williams. Subs: Hunter, Gray, Pecora.

(All pictures courtesy of Simon J Newbury Photography)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.