Blyth FA Cup - Nantwich Town's Weaver Stadium, pre-season games, community football

By James Briscoe
Nantwich Town were unable to blunt Worksop’s famed attack and were beaten 3-1 at the promotion chasers.

But it could have been a different story after the Dabbers had taken an early lead.

Danny Johnson’s defence then gifted their hosts two first-half goals in the space of three minutes, which turned the game on its head.

Goal machine Leon Mettam bagged his brace and Worksop’s third after the break.

Nantwich top scorer Aaron Burns had put them ahead inside 20 minutes, firing into the roof of the net after Alex Meaney’s free-kick was not cleared.

Ten minutes later Mat Bailey left a long ball for keeper Steve James, but Mettam got there first rounding the Preston loanee to fire into an unguarded net.

A few minutes later winger Connor Higginson scored direct from a corner.

Mettam then sprinted through to grab his second just after the break which put the game out-of-reach of Nantwich before Burns spurned a great chance to drag his side back in to it.

The Tigers were on the offensive from kick-off, keen to continue their free scoring tendencies.

The Dabbers used Bailey to try and foil Denton’s leaping prowess.

Worksop’s Jack Muldoon used his skill to beat Andy White on 13 minutes and drill a cross but Denton’s back-post diving header brushed the outside of the Nantwich post before going wide.

Steve Foster stung Jonathan Stewart’s palms with the Dabbers’ first shot on target on 16 minutes.

Foster won a freekick on 17 minutes which Alex Meaney took.

A Worksop defender glanced Meaney’s freekick at his own goalkeeper who made a fabulous save but the ball fell to Burns’ feet who smashed in right footed on 18 minutes.

Mettam thundered in the equaliser for Worksop on 29 minutes before Higginson scored direct from a corner on 32 minutes with the wind possibly playing a part to leave James grasping at thin air.

Mettam scored his second of the night on 48 minutes when he drilled through James’ legs with composure after beating the Dabbers defence for pace.

Worksop had chances to extend their lead after that, with Muldoon, Denton and Shane Clarke all missing good opportunities.

On 74 minutes Burns had a rare chance and should have made it 3-2 when he broke free but he shot wide.

And Earl Davis missed the chance to close the gap on 90 minutes when he headed over from a corner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.