Kyle Blake

Nantwich Town bounced back from defeat by FC United to secure victory in the Cheshire Senior Cup at Stalybridge Celtic, writes Richard Scott.

Goals from Kyle Blake (pictured) and Aaron Burns secured a 2-0 win for the Dabbers to progress through the preliminary round.

Boss Danny Johnson made a number of changes including resting captain Mark Jones and giving Mark Winslade and Kyle Blake starts.

Youth team players Troy Bourne and Jordan Long were also on the bench.

The hosts started brightly and could have gone ahead when former Port Vale player Liam Dickinson tried an effort from around 30 yards out but it drifted wide.

Nantwich who seemed to have more of the ball in the first 10 minutes but they were unable to break their hosts down in the opening stages.

The Dabbers first chance came when Burns played in Winslade but as the striker broke through he was well tackled.

On 16 minutes Oliver Crowley could have opened the scoring for the Vanarama North hosts when he had a shot from outside the area and it flew well wide of Stevenson’s goal.

Nantwich’s first shot on goal came on 25 minutes, when good play from Iain Howard played in Burns whose shot from distance was straight at King.

Burns had another chance to open the scoring when he broke though but was inches over the bar as he lobbed on-rushing keeper Lewis King.

The Dabbers were forced into a change when Mark Jones came on for the injured Sam Wilson.

Winslade and Andy White also went close for Nantwich before the break.

And the Dabbers pressure paid off eight minutes into the second period when Blake won the ball off Keith Briggs and hit an audacious shot from around 30 yards into the top corner of the goal.

Moments later, Blake almost made it 2-0 when he fired on goal but King tipped wide for a corner.

It was 2-0 on 69 minutes, when a cross from Shaun Dowling found its way to the back stick, where Burns headed home.

The hosts could have been back in the game when a header beat Stevenson but it rolled across the line and the Dabbers cleared to safety.

Nantwich defended well and looked dangerous on the counter attack.

Burns was replaced by Harry Clayton as Danny Johnson looked ahead to Saturday’s game against Ashton United.

With two minutes to go, Stalybridge won a free kick on the edge of the area which sub Ennis ballooned over.

Nantwich are next in action on Saturday (October 18) as they welcome Ashton United to the Weaver Stadium.

Nantwich Town: Stevenson, Dowling, White, Pepper, Wilson, Bailey, Blake, Sheehan, Burns, Winslade and Howard. Subs: Mark Jones (On for Wilson, 33 minutes), Clayton (On for Burns, 84 minutes), Meaney (On for Sheehan, 63 minutes), Long and Bourne.

One Comment

  1. ethan pointon says:

    kyle blake class player 100% class #feedtheblakeandhewillscore

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.