Blyth FA Cup - Nantwich Town's Weaver Stadium, pre-season games, community football

Nantwich Town’s unbeaten start to 2015 came to an end as Workington won a five-goal thriller at a blustery Weaver Stadium, writes Richard Scott.

Dabbers boss Danny Johnson made one change to the side that beat Marine seven days ago.

Iain Howard dropped to the bench as Matty Kosylo started in his place, while Steve Jones made the bench.

Nantwich could have been ahead after a minute when Andy White played in Aaron Burns who beat Jonny Jamieson, but the flagged was raised for offside.

Soon after Workington were convinced they had scored, when Connor Tinnion got his header on goal but Terry Smith cleared off the line.

The Dabbers took the lead on 20 minutes, when a throw in found Nicky Platt who played in Mark Winslade. He shimmied in front of Jamieson before slotting into the far corner.

But the lead lasted just two minutes when Scott Allison scored for Workington, after some good team play from the visitors.

White hit a cross come shot, which forced Jamieson into a tipping save for a corner.

Nantwich continued to press with Kosylo and Platt linking up well but they were unable to retake the lead.

Workington’s first chance to take the lead came on 36 minutes, when the wind caused havoc in the Nantwich defence as the ball fell to Allison with the angle acute but it was lashed across goal.

Moments later Gareth Arinson hit a fierce shot which smacked the Nantwich bar before going out for a goal kick.

Winslade could have had his second goal as Burns crossed from the left wing which the goal scorer headed goalwards but was comfortably saved by Jamieson.

Workington took the lead with just four minutes of the half to go when Matthew Tymon turned in the area and lifted it over Smith.

After the break, Workington almost made it 3-1 when Jake Simpson flashed a shot just wide.

But it was 3-1 to the visitors on 52 minutes when Tinnion burst through and beat Smith for pace with the shot to give the visitors daylight.

Smith had to be on hand to make a number of saves to keep Nantwich in the game.

And they almost had one back when Adam Jones headed across goal only for Workington captain Daniel Wordsworth to cut it out.

Max Harrop came on for Kosylo and Dowling was withdrawn for Steve Jones as the Dabbers were forced to chase the game.

Harrop made a fantastic run before trying his luck from distance but went wide of the post as he had Burns in space.

With 10 minutes to go, Josh Clavert had a chance at the back stick from a corner but his header was wide.

Simpson then had another shot fly wide of the goal after Platt lost the ball just outside his area.

But Nantwich gave themselves a chance with five minutes to go when Jamieson dropped a corner and Burns gobbled up his 17th goal of the season.

The Dabbers could not force a leveller in the remaining minutes.

Nantwich Town: Smith, Dowling, White, Pearson, A.Jones, Harrison, Platt, M.Jones (C), Burns, Winslade and Koyslo. Subs: Harrop (On for Kosylo, 60 minutes), Clayton, S.Jones (On for Dowling, 63 minutes), Blake and Howard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.