Nantwich Town v Trafford Jan 2015

Nantwich Town could not break through a stubborn Trafford defence and had to settle for a point in a goalless draw at the Weaver Stadium, writes Richard Scott.

It was the first time Nantwich have failed to score in a home match since the visit of Grantham Town in September.

Boss Danny Johnson had to do re-shuffle after a busy week with Aaron Burns and Adam Jones leaving.

It meant Max Harrop and Steve Jones both started, while Jordon Johnson made his first Nantwich appearance since he came on as a sub in the 1-1 draw at Halesowen in September.

Nantwich began brightly and had some good passing moves in and around the Trafford area.

Trafford had the first shot on target with Michael Oates firing straight at Terry Smith from a McCarthy knock down.

The Dabbers first chance fell to Mark Winslade, when a Howard through ball played in the Dabbers forward but he fired wide.

Nantwich Town v Trafford 2, Jan 2015

Nantwich should have been ahead on 19 minutes when a knock down from Mat Bailey found Harrop. He hit his volley inches wide of Thomas Read’s goal.

Soon after Mark Jones well-struck shot flew just over, and they hit the bar on 27 minutes when Harrop smashed a free kick against the woodwork.

Nantwich drew Trafford into a number of fouls and on 32 minutes the referee Peter Gooch had to have words with the Trafford manager Graham Heathcote.

Man of the match Ben Harrison blocked a James McCarthy shot in the area on 40 minutes on a rare Trafford attack.

Steve Jones should have opened the scoring when he burst but from distance he hit his shot went wide.

Nicky Platt was booked on 55 minutes for a late tackle just inside the Trafford half.

The visitors gained in confidence after an hour winning a couple of corners, but Nantwich rarely looked in trouble.

Matty Kosylo came on for Harrop on 64 minutes, then former Nantwich man Jeff King was booked for clattering into Mark Jones.

Mat Bailey for Nantwich Town v Trafford

With 18 minutes left Jordan Johnson came on for his first Nantwich game since last September, after Danny Johnson recalled him from a loan spell at Market Drayton Town.

Johnson showed some neat touches and pace as the Dabbers tried to break the deadlock.

Iain Howard had an excellent chance to score when in acres of space in the box the midfielder controlled the ball but ballooned it over the bar.

Johnson then powered a header over from a White cross as Nantwich piled on the pressure.

In the final minute, a Platt corner was missed by Read and fell to Kosylo but the sub hit his shot into the side netting. It was the final chance to clinch three points.

Nantwich are in 18th place in Evo-Stik Premier League. They travel to Ashton United next Saturday, kick off 3pm.

Nantwich Town: Smith, Dowling, White, M.Jones (C), Harrison, Bailey, S.Jones, Platt, Winslade, Harrop and Howard. Subs: Koyslo (on for Harrop, 64 minutes), Clayton, Blake, Moyo and Johnson (on for S.Jones 72 minutes)

Nantwich Town against Trafford, Jan 24 2015

(pictures courtesy of Simon J Newbury Photography)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.