two goals against Skelmersdale - Matt Bell, Nantwich Town, man of match in FA Trophy

Nantwich Town came from behind to win 2-1 away at Marine for their second league victory of the season, writes Richard Scott.

A second half brace from Matt Bell, now second league top scorer, won the tie for the Dabbers after Lewis Codling had given the hosts the lead.

Nantwich boss Phil Parkinson made four changes after the 4-3 defeat away at Stourbridge.

Jose Viega came in for Terry Smith in goal, Jon Moran for Josh Gordon, Matty Kosylo for PJ Hudson and Steve Jones for Liam Shotton.

And Viega saw action in the first minute, getting down well to save from Andrew Owens from outside the area.

Nantwich were into the game with Kosylo and Josh Hancock their main threat.

Elliot Osborne could have scored on 14 minutes when awarded a free kick after Hancock was brought down.

But the Young Player of the Year of 2014-15 saw his fine effort well saved by Marine keeper Jonathon Ritchie.

Then Hancock should have scored on 22 minutes from a Steve Jones cut back, but fired wide.

Kosylo and Matt Bell both had chances to score, with Mat Bailey proving a menace in the Marine box from set plays.

With around 10 minutes left of the half, Kosylo fashioned a chance despite under pressure, but his shot looped straight into the hands of the keeper.

Marine created half chances in the first period, which ended goalless. It’s the first time this season the Dabbers have not scored in the first half.

Six minutes into the second half and Marine took the lead.

Codling cracked a fine drive past Viega, who got his hand to the ball but not enough to turn it away.

The Dabbers dusted themselves off and they were level within three minutes.

Kosylo played in Bell, his first shot was saved by Ritchie but the ball rebounded to him and he was able to tap home for 1-1.

On the hour mark, Kosylo could have given the Dabbers the lead when Jones sent him through, but he headed wide of the goal.

Nantwich continued to press with Thornton coming closest.

And with just 15 minutes to go, the Dabbers were in front when Andy White sent in a cross and Bell was on hand with a bullet header to make it 2-1.

Nantwich could have had a third through Gordon, who saw his effort cleared off the line by Marine centre back Liam Willis.

Marine pressed late on and could have been level when Codling turned inside the six-yard box, but the excellent Bailey blocked his shot.

Owens had a chance from distance in the final moments but his shot hit Bailey and the ball bounced through to Viega who made a comfortable stop.

Parkinson’s men defended manfully in the closing stages to secure the three points.

The Dabbers are fifth in Evo-Stik Premier League and welcome Sutton Coldfield Town to the Weaver Stadium on Tuesday (August 25), kick off 7.45pm.

Nantwich Town: Viega, White, Thornton (C), Moran, Bailey, Osborne, Jones, Hall, Bell, Kosylo and Hancock. Subs: C.Smith (on for Jones), Short, Hudson (on for Hancock) and Gordon (on for Kosylo)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.