Joshua Gordon, against Kidsgrove

Nantwich Town were held to a third draw in a row as they came from behind to share the points with Workington AFC at Borough Park, writes Liam Roe.

Workington broke the deadlock after 12 minutes with Conor Tinnion firing in a stunning free-kick.

But Nantwich responded after 65 minutes – Josh Gordon (pictured) grabbing the equaliser.

Phil Parkinson made four changes to the team that drew 2-2 at the Weaver Stadium against Matlock Town on Tuesday night.

Krystian Burzynski, Jon Moran, Josh Gordon and Josh Hancock replaced Terry Smith, Andy White, Darren Thornton and Matty Kosylo.

The first chance of the game came after only one minute when a Lewis Short throw-in bounced around the box and found Gordon, who was stretching to reach the ball and his header was saved by Jonny Jamieson.

After ten minutes Gordon had his second attempt with a curled shot, and again Jamieson saved.

The deadlock was broken two minutes later when Workington won a free-kick 25 yards out.

Tinnion stepped up and his dipping left-footed strike rocketed into the top left hand corner of the Nantwich goal.

It could have been two on 23 minutes when Jake Simpson found space on the left but Burzynski was able to get down fast enough to save the low shot with relative ease.

Two minutes later, Workington had another chance when Moran gave away a free-kick and collected a yellow card.

The free-kick from Simpson was whipped in low and looked to be creeping in to Burynski’s right, but he pulled off an excellent save to deny Workington.

On 43 minutes, Nantwich could have equalised as Jamieson failed to deal with a long ball.

Liam Shotton rounded him, beat a defender before crossing for Matt Bell whose strike ended up in the arms of Jamieson.

The Dabbers looked fired up for the second half and after just two minutes, Shotton had a chance when Bell played him through but Jamieson saved his attempt from inside the box.

The equaliser eventually came in the 65th minute.

A scramble for the ball in the box fell at Gordon’s feet. His shot was deflected into the back of the Workington net to make it 1-1.

With 15 minutes remaining Parkinson made his first change of the game, bringing off goal scorer Gordon for joint top scorer Kosylo, as the Dabbers searched for a winner.

Six minutes later, another change came – this time Clayton came on for Shotton.

As the game reached its climax both teams were in search of a winning goal but neither created a solid chance to pick up all three points.

Nantwich still sit fourth in the table after Saturday’s other results finished in their favour.

They will be hoping to return to winning ways on Tuesday night away at Sutton Coldfield Town.

Nantwich Town: Burzynski, Moran, Short, Harrison, Bailey, Osborne, Gordon, Hall (c), Shotton, Bell, Hancock. Substitutes – Clayton (on for Shotton), Bourne, Kosylo (on for Gordon), Thornton, T.Smith.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.