the-nantwich-wall-blocks-a-free-kick-from-Hednesford-player- sean-geddes

Nantwich Town made it six unbeaten as they battled to a 1-1 draw against promotion candidates Hednesford Town, writes Jack Jones.

The draw also earned the Dabbers their first home league point of the season.

They forged ahead early on, with Matt Bell firing into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

They could have extended the lead in the first half, with Sean Cooke going close twice.

Hednesford levelled shortly after half time, as Gurjit Singh pounced on a cross to rifle in an equaliser.

Both sides had chances to win the game, but were forced to settle for a draw.

Nantwich boss Phil Parkinson made one change from the Marine FA Cup replay, Osebi Abadaki missing out through injury, replaced by Josh Gordon.

The Dabbers started well, and deserved the early lead when a ball cleared to the edge of the box fell to Bell who side-footed the ball into the bottom corner from 20 yards.


Hednesford’s Bramall then sent in a dangerous cross, but it evaded everyone from the away side.

Nantwich had the next clear chance though, as Stair cut inside and curled a shot which Dan Crane in the Hednesford goal palmed away.

Cooke was next to go close, his vicious shot from the edge of the box zipping wide.

On 18 minutes, Cooke almost doubled the lead. He was played in by Ryan Brooke and he lobbed the keeper from the edge of the box, but the ball bounced just wide.

A minute into the second half, the Dabbers defence was breached.

A cross into the box looped over Andy White and landed at the feet of Singh who hit a shot into the roof of the net.

The Dabbers came back strong, Stair firing a free kick just wide and Ryan Brooke heading narrowly over.


Josh Hancock and Dave Walker came on for Josh Gordon and Brooke respectively.

Touray cut inside the penalty area, beat his man, but could only skew his shot wide.

There was a let off on 71 minutes when the ball bounced around Nantwich’s box, but it was thrashed over by the away side.

The game burst into life in the final 10 minutes.

Walker found Riley with a cross and latter directed a header at goal which Crane was able to make the stop.

Singh and Sean Geddes shot over at one end for Hednesford while Walker saw two chances missed at the other – a chip over the keeper was cleared, and then a header sailed over.

Hednesford countered in injury-time, but excellent defending denied them a shot on goal.

Nantwich Town: Dave Parton, Andy White, Ben Harrison, Curtis Jones, Ibou Touray, Matt Bell, Sam Hall(c), Theo Stair (Wayne Riley, 71), Sean Cooke, Josh Gordon (Josh Hancock, 59), Ryan Brooke (Dave Walker, 68). Subs not used: Troy Bourne, Godwin Abadaki.

(Pics by Jonathan White)




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.