Two first half goals ensured Nantwich Town progressed to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup after a 2-1 win at home to Halesowen Town.

Strikes from Sean Cooke and then Sam Hall in the final six minutes of the first half were enough for the Dabbers.

They defended resolutely in the second period after the visitors pulled one back through Kaiman Anderson.

The Dabbers started brightly and looked to find the early goal as a curling cross from Sean Cooke was heading for Ryan Brooke at the back post but Kyle Haynes did well to clear.

Jordan Goddard found himself in on goal for the visitors but the opportunity to have a shot bypassed the forward.

Nantwich forced Yeltz keeper Daniel Platt into his first save as he superbly palmed away Ibou Touray’s powerful effort after Theo Stair had played him in.

The hosts had the perfect chance to take the lead on 15 minutes as Halesowen midfielder Daniel Bragoli was adjudged to have handled in the box.

Cooke’s powerful spotkick was palmed away by Platt who guessed right.

Cooke then curled his next effort over the bar after being played in by Wayne Riley.

Matt Bell then saw his swerving half volley comfortably saved as Yeltz continued to frustrate the Dabbers.


However, on 39 minutes the hosts took a deserved lead as after Cooke waltzed his way past a couple of defenders before calmly slotting home.

It was 2-0 six minutes later as skipper Sam Hall unleashed an unstoppable 30-yard effort into the top right corner.

Halesowen began the second period brightly and went close through Anderson who shot wide of the post.

Curtis Jones saw his close range header brilliantly kept out by Platt before Matt Bell fired the loose ball inches wide of the post.

Nantwich keeper Dave Parton was then penalised for handling outside the box, but the visitors failed to take advantage of the free kick as James Hancocks fired well wide of the target.

The visitors pulled one back on 72 minutes through Anderson who flicked the ball past Parton from close range after getting to Bragoli’s cross ahead of his marker.


The hosts continued to look to increase the lead and Sanders nearly marked his debut with a goal but his shot went inches past the post after being teed up by Hancock.

With the game entering the final ten minutes of the game, the Yeltz continued to look for an equaliser with long balls and crosses into the box but the Dabbers’ defence held firm.

Bragoli shot wide from the edge of the box with substitute Ethan Delaney firing a low effort across the face of goal as Halesowen looked to nab a second goal.

Up the other end Sanders played in fellow sub Osebi Abadaki but the winger’s shot was blocked by the legs of Platt as the game entered five minutes of stoppage time.

The visitors did have one final chance in the dying seconds as Goddard’s strike flew past the post but that was as close as they got as Bannister brought the game to an end, meaning the Dabbers will now host Stourbridge in the fourth qualifying round on Saturday 15th October at the Weaver Stadium.

Nantwich Town: Parton, White, Touray, C. Jones, Harrison, Bell, Riley, Hall, Brooke (O. Abadaki 82′), Cooke (Sanders 69′), Stair (Hancock 46′). Subs not used: Quinn (GK), Walker, Griggs.

(pics courtesy of Jonathan White)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.