Man of the Match Matt Bell scores the first goal from distance v Skelmersdale

Two goals from Matty Bell and a goal each from Andy White and Joe Mwasile was enough to push Nantwich up to seventh and see off the challenge of second-bottom Skelmersdale United at the Weaver Stadium, writes Steven Dale.

The hosts went into this fixture with one notable absentee – manager Phil Parkinson missing the encounter through illness.

An unfortunate build-up of traffic meant the game had to be delayed for 25 minutes before action could eventually get underway.

But when it did, there were noticeable problems with the visitor’s appearance.

A bizarre event followed as the visitors took to the field wearing one of their opponent’s kits.

The visitors, despite earlier problems, did create the first chance.

A long searching corner eventually found its way to Chris Almond in the area but he could only head wide of the target.

Nantwich put themselves in the ascendancy after 10 minutes.

Bell (pictured) fired in a brilliant drive from outside the area to notch his second of the season.

The hosts doubled their advantage on 26 minutes.

A long searching corner found its way to Joe Mwasile.

The winger, despite being closely marked, remained calm to slot home from close-range.

Joe Mwasile scores the second goal after turning in a loose ball in the penalty area

A spot of pushing and shoving 10 minutes before the half-time break saw Nantwich’s Ryan Brooke and Skelmersdale’s Phil Mooney booked.

Andy White was also booked when he attempted to prevent a quick Skelmersdale breakaway.

A strong challenge was quickly penalised by referee, Darren Rodgers.

A determined run from Crewe loanee, Ollie Finney, created the final opportunity of the first-half.

His surge from the right-hand wing saw him eventually flash just wide.

The visitors were reduced to ten men just after the hour mark.

Captain Strickland was dismissed for a strong challenge on Hall.

The Nantwich captain, clearly feeling the effects of the challenge, was replaced by Tim Sanders.

Dave Walker, the host’s final substitution, created his side’s first real opening of the half but he could only fire wide from inside the penalty area.

Despite being relatively quiet for large parts of the second-half, Nantwich again could have made it 3-0.

A curler from outside the area from substitute Sanders produced a smart save from Fearon.

A moment of magic lit up the second-half 10 minutes from time.

White’s fantastic curling effort gave Fearon no chance from outside the box to give his side a 3-0 advantage going into the closing stages.

The referee evened the contest, in terms of numbers, two minutes before the final whistle, when Theo Stair picked up his second yellow card for an alleged dive inside the area.

Ibou Touray takes on a Skelmersdale player

But a great evening for Nantwich was sealed when man of the match Bell added his second of the night in injury time.

The result saw The Dabbers leapfrog Warrington into seventh, one point behind Blyth Spartans.

Nantwich are at home to Frickley this Saturday December 17. Kick off 3pm.

Nantwich Town: Parton, White, Touray, Jones, Stair, Hall (C) (Sanders, 61), Mwasile, Bell, Brooke (Walker, 72), Finney, Abadaki (T Stair, 64). Subs not used: Riley, Quinn.

(pics courtesy of Jonathan White)

Theo Stair receives his second yellow card for an alleged dive inside the penalty area

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.