A spectacular overhead kick from Josh Hancock was saved by Matlock goalkeeper Phil Barnes

Nantwich Town bounced back from their shock defeat to Whitby with a battling 0-0 draw at home to Matlock Town.

Phil Parkinson made four changes from the side that lost on Saturday.

Vinny Mukendi made his first start since returning to the club, replacing Tom Peers.

Joe Mwasile, Wayne Riley and Ben Harrison all also came in, replacing Josh Hancock, Sean Cooke and Joel Stair.

Both teams started the game at a fast pace as they looked to control the tempo and get on the front foot early.

On three minutes, John Johnston got down the right and swung a cross into the box. Mukendi met the ball, but his knock down was scooped up by Gladiators keeper Phil Barnes.

John Johnston crosses the ball

The first chance of the game came two minutes later, when Dinanga held off the Dabbers defence and fired well wide.

The first set piece was cleared by Mukendi for another corner, but the second almost resulted in a goal for Matlock.

The ball dropped for Michael Williams, but he couldn’t get a clean connection and the ball was cleared.

Ed Cribley then fired wide when he should have hit the target.

At the other end, Mwasile’s cross saw Mukendi almost turn the ball home.

Mwasile was causing problems and he saw a shot from distance was blocked after Touray had set him up.

Ibou Touray challenges for the ball (1)

Then a Johnston cross was met by Mukendi, but his header back across goal couldn’t find a team mate.

Mukendi had what was the best chance of the half when he met a Johnston cross, but could only direct his free header wide.

The Dabbers suffered a blow when Sam Hall went down clutching his ankle.

He was forced off, with Hancock replacing him.

The Dabbers started the second half brightly, with Hancock having the first sight of goal.

He picked up the ball and ran towards goal before shooting straight at Barnes.

Adam Yates went into the book after barging over Mwasile as he looked to run into the box.

From the free kick, Bell beat the wall, but it went wide of the near post.

Hancock, off the back of his spectacular overhead kick goal against Blyth, almost had a replica.

Mukendi knocked the ball down and he looped a shot on goal.

But Barnes beat the ball away.

Joe Doyle-Charles clears a danger ball for Matlock

Matlock were still looking dangerous, as Wiley fired over after a free kick was cleared to the edge of the Dabbers box.

Cribley had the visitors best chance as he cut inside and forced Gyollai into a smart save.

The chances continued to come, with Bell shooting into the box which Hancock diverted over the bar after stretching for the ball.

With 20 minutes to go, Mukendi came off after a good shift, with Tom Peers replacing him.

Another ball into the Matlock box caused a scramble, but nobody in green could force the ball home.

The best chance of the game came with 12 minutes to go when Hancock found space in the box.

His shot beat Barnes all ends up, but it hit the inside of the post and bounced away.

Parkinson made a final change, bringing on Steve Jones as the Dabbers looked for a winner.

The final chance came in the dying minutes as a corner into the Dabbers box fell to Yates, but he could only bundle over from close range.

A point keeps Nantwich in second place.

Nantwich Town: Dan Gyollai, Andy White, Ibou Touray, Curtis Jones, Ben Harrison, Sam Hall(c), John Johnston, Wayne Riley, Vinny Mukendi, Matt Bell, Joe Mwasile(Steve Jones, 82). Unused subs: Ryan Brooke, Joel Stair

(pics by Jonathan White)

Man of the match Joe Mwasile attempts to block a clearance

Vinny Mukendi challenges for the ball

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.