Witton keeper Ryan Nield saves close to full-time

A second half brace from Steve Tames saw Nantwich Town bow out of the Integro League Cup after a 3-2 defeat at home to Witton Albion, writes Steve Sharman.

Albion substitute Tames netted twice in the final 15 minutes to send his side through to the third round of the competition.

Micah Evans had given the visitors the lead early on but strikes from Jamie Morgan and Steve Jones sent the Dabbers into the break 2-1 up.

But the introduction of strikers Rob Hopley and Tames proved a lethal combination as the latter sent his side through.

Dabbers manager Dave Cooke named a strong line up with captain Sam Hall, keeper Will Jaaskelainen and Caspar Hughes all starting

The first real chance produced the first goal.

Anthony Brown’s header across the face of goal from Paul Williams’ floated free kick, saw Evans nod past Jaaskelainen.

It woke the Dabbers up as they went straight up the other end and went close through Dave Forbes who shot wide of the near post after the ball had fallen to the striker inside the box.

And it didn’t take long for that equaliser to come as Morgan curled brilliantly into the far corner from the edge of the box after a fine run down the left from Curtis Strong.

Troy Bourne eyes the ball

It wasn’t until five minutes before the break that it got its next goal.

Jones raced clear of the defence before rounding keeper Ryan Neild and rolling the ball into an empty net from an angle.

Witton came out all guns blazing in the second period and almost drew level but for Jaaskelainen’s fine close range save to deny Owen Dale’s low volley.

The keeper, on loan from Crewe Alex, was kept busy in the second half and he denied Dale before Morgan cleared Will Jones’ follow up off the line.

Witton manager Carl McCauley made a double change 10 minutes into the half which proved crucial as Hopley and Tames were introduced.

On the 70-minute mark Witton drew level as Hopley found Tames unmarked in the box, and the striker was able to slot past Jaaskelainen from 12 yards.

Dave Cooke made two substitutions of his own, Keaton Webster and Declan O’Riordan brought on in place of Joe Mwasile and Clayton McDonald.

Webster had to be alert as he made a fine recovery challenge on Foley, who had looked to have got in behind the Dabbers’ centre-back.

Steve Jones eyes the ball

As the game looked to be heading to a penalty shootout, the visitors netted a third through Tames, as he lashed home from close range after Jaaskelainen had saved brilliantly from Hopley’s low effort.

The Dabbers were left with little time to save the game, although Troy Bourne’s lofted cross nearly found the back of the net but for Neild’s fine save as he tipped the ball over the bar.

As the hosts poured bodies forward in search of an equaliser, Witton nearly had a fourth as Hopley broke clear of the Dabbers’ defence but the forward was denied by Jaaskelainen.

Back to league action this Saturday as Coalville Town visit Weaver Stadium, 3pm kick off.

Nantwich Town: Jaaskelainen, Bourne, Morgan, Phillips, McDonald (Webster 73′), Hall (c), Mwasile (O’Riordan 73′), Hughes, S. Jones, Forbes (Clayton 64′), Strong. Unused subs: Burzynksi (GK), Griggs

(pics by Jonathan White)

Witton keeper Ryan Nield clears the ball

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.