Nantwich v Sutton - Joe Mwasile controls the ball

Nantwich Town players could not provide a Christmas cracker for their fans as they played out a lacklustre Boxing Day stalemate with Sutton Coldfield, writes Ryan Batty.

The Dabbers had numerous chances to win the game but lacked a clinical edge in the final third.

Dave Cooke named an unchanged side from the team that travelled to Workington, with one change to the bench that saw Luke Walley return to the squad in place of Steve Jones.

The first real chance came for the visitors after five minutes as Clayton McDonald fouled 25 yards from goal.

A Sutton set-piece was straight off the training ground, as the ball was chipped over to the right, then fired into the box but was hit over the bar.

Nantwich’s first chance came a few minutes later through their own free-kick.

Sean Cooke was shoved to the ground on the right-hand side, and Matt Bell floated the ball in to find Jordan Cole. His header was good, but saved by Draper.

The Dabbers had most of the ball early on, and Joe Mwasile nicked the ball on the halfway line and made a powerful run down the right.

He played a simple pass to Troy Bourne, who then laid it off to Bell.

Taking a touch, Bell saw a gap and struck a powerful shot that was juggled by Draper before being saved.

Ten minutes before the break, Nantwich had another near-miss.

They had a free-kick lined up on the right-hand side. Bell whipped it into the box and found Joel Stair, but the defender’s header trickled past Draper’s far post.

Moments later, Nantwich had the ball in the net, but it was adjudged to be offside.

Joe Mwasile scores but it is adjudged offside

The first chance of the second half saw Cole pick up the ball from a corner, but his neat side-footed shot went inches wide.

Nantwich brought on David Forbes for Curtis Strong soon after.

Ten minutes after the interval, Cooke found the ball on the right and shot towards goal which troubled Draper.

Sutton made their first change just after the hour mark, replacing Matthew Walters with Gurjit Singh.

After 65 minutes, Forbes fired a curling effort towards goal that went just wide of Draper’s post.

The visitors made their second change with 15 minutes left in the game, as David Howarth replaced Harvey Howell.

Jordan Cole fights for the ball

With 12 minutes to go, Nantwich again came ever so close.

Man of the match Mwasile was through on goal and almost put it past the keeper, but excellent work by Draper prevented the Dabbers from taking a late lead.

Mwasile, who picked up a knock in the first half that had been troubling him most of the game, finally had to be substituted by Luke Walley.

A couple of minutes later, Sutton made their final change, replacing Checkaine Smith with Zak Martin.

However, despite three minutes of added time, Sutton were content to play out the draw and Nantwich couldn’t find a late winner.

The Dabbers are back in action this Saturday, as they host Mickleover, before travelling to Barwell on New Year’s Day.

Nantwich Town: Spiess, Bourne, Wildin, Stair, McDonald (Morgan 25’), Bell (C), Mwasile (Walley 83’), Hughes, Cole, Cooke, Strong (Forbes 53’). Subs not used: Burzynski, Hall

(Pics courtesy of Jonathan White)

Luke Walley eyes the ball

l-r Assistant Manager Danny Griggs and Manager Dave Cooke discuss tactics


  1. The Sutton Coldfield supporters band provided the only entertainment, thank God they turned up worth the gate price to here them.
    Nantwich were poor all game we need to find some better players in all areas.

  2. L.E.M. Aitken says:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.