Nantwich goal against Farsley - Harry Clayton slides the ball into goal

Nantwich Town were made to rue missed chances as they conceded a late equaliser to play-off chasing Farsley Celtic at the Weaver Stadium, writes Ryan Batty.

The Dabbers took the lead early on through Harry Clayton after the visitors had a penalty saved.

But the Celts came out firing after the break and with a minute of regulation time remaining, substitute Ben Atkinson headed past Myles Boney.

Nantwich looked the better side early on as they put some great pressure onto the Farsley backline.

However, after seven minutes, Lewis Turner made a driving run down the left into the box, and Boney came rushing out to catching Turner and the referee didn’t hesitate to point to the spot.

Nathan Cartman struck the spot-kick poorly and Boney was able to make amends with a comfortable save.

In the ninth minute, a mistake in the back allowed Nathan Cotterell to nick the ball and find Clayton, who expertly finished low from inside the area for this 14th of the season.

Clayton could have doubled the lead soon after as he drove into the box, but a bobble on the ball prevented a clean strike and the defence was able to clear.

After 20 minutes, the Dabbers had a series of chances.

Jamie Morgan was in acres of space on the right, but his shot was stopped by Graeme McKibbon.

Then, a cross to the back post found Joel Stair, who headed it back which almost allowed Clayton McDonald to slide in with a goal.

Nantwich keeper Myles Boney saves a penalty

Five minutes later, the ball came to McDonald on the edge of the box, and the big man launched a rocket that flew just wide.

With seven minutes remaining in the first half, Troy Bourne drove out of the defence, finding an open Clayton on the left, who was able to take it round McKibbon.

Despite Bourne in the box, Clayton decided to shoot from a tight angle but his effort hit the side netting.

The visitors made a half-time substitution, Isaac Baldwin replacing William Wells.

And Baldwin made an impact, his run into the box ending with a great strike that was cleared off the line.

The visitors were far more competitive but Nantwich had a chance to double the lead when Morgan headed a brilliant effort towards goal that almost snuck past McKibbon.

Joe Mwasile fights for the ball

With 20 minutes to go, the visitors made their final change, as Ben Atkinson replaced Luke Parkin.

A moment later, Farsley were played through, but Baldwin’s effort was well-saved by Boney.

The Dabbers made their first change after 72 minutes, as Jordan Cole replaced Joe Mwasile.

Moments later Sean Cooke’s shot took a deflection off a Farsley defender. It looked like a handball, but the referee disagreed.

In the closing 10 minutes the game was increasingly being played in the Nantwich half.

And with a minute to go, a cross into the area found Atkinson, who was able to leap into action and head past Boney, finding the top-right corner.

Nantwich were unable to make the most of the added four minutes and it finished 1-1.

Nantwich are back in action on Easter Monday as they travel to Sutton Coldfield for a 3pm kick-off.

They are back at the Weaver Stadium next Saturday to host Warrington Town for the first leg of a Cheshire derby double-header.

Nantwich: Boney, Morgan, Wildin, Stair, McDonald (C), Bourne, Mwasile (Cole 72′), Mullarkey, H. Clayton, Cooke, Cotterell (Griggs 85′). Subs not used: Wakefield, Killilea, Jones

(Pics courtesy of Jonathan White)

Farsley Celtic clear the ball

Jamie Morgan shot at goal

Jamie and Joe Mwasile eye the ball

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.