Jamie Morgan shot at goal - v hednesford

Nantwich Town drew 4-4 in an extraordinary game away at Hednesford Town in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

The point keeps the Dabbers in fourth place, and eight points clear of those outside the play-off places.

Both sides took time to adjust to the gusty conditions and there was no sign of what was to come after a goalless first half an hour.

The hosts drew first blood on 39 minutes a little against the run of play.

Reece King used quick feet to get the better of Troy Bourne before crossing for Wells to head past Jaaskelainen.

Ricardo Fuller squandered a golden chance to level on the stroke of half-time, but he was thwarted by the keeper as he raced through one on one.

Six minutes after the restart, and Nantwich were 2-0 down after James Lawrie tripped Sweeney in the box and conceded a penalty.

Sweeney took the spot-kick and sent Jaaskelainen the wrong way.

But two minutes later Nantwich showed their fighting spirit and Jamie Morgan (pictured) reduced the arrears after being teed up nicely by Fuller to fire home from close range.

Goals began to rain in and the hosts were 3-1 up just four minutes later.

Sweeney was given too much space and fired a rocket off the underside of the bar and over the line.

Dave Cooke was prompted into a double change with Luke Walsh and Matt Bell on for James Lawrie and Nathan Cotterell.

Minutes later Danny Glover came in for Fuller and made an instant impact on 67 minutes.

He latched onto a Cooke through ball and slotted comfortably past Preston into the bottom right corner to make it 3-2.

The Dabbers were in the ascendancy now and pushed for a levellers. They didn’t have to wait long.

On 76 minutes, they drew level when Malkin scored his second of the afternoon tapping in a rebound after Glover had his effort saved.

Constant Nantwich pressure for the next 10 minutes paid dividends and they took a dramatic lead on 85 minutes to crown a stunning comeback.

A corner was swung in towards the back post and it fell for Matt Bell who fired past Preston after the keeper had flapped at the first attempt.

However, Nantwich switched off and the hosts tied it up at 4-4 just 60 seconds later!

A long throw from Bailey was met in the box by O’Hanlan and he headed past Jaaskelainen to send the home fans wild.

Cooke almost grabbed an injury-time winner when he blasted a free kick towards the top corner which was brilliantly saved by Preston.

(pic by Jonathan White)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.