sean cooke penalty v workington

A Sean Cooke brace from the penalty spot saw Nantwich Town claim their first win at Borough Park to topple relegation-threatened Workington, writes Ryan Batty.

Danny Glover gave Nantwich the lead after eight minutes, before Jason Walker lobbed Lloyd Allinson despite being in a dubious offside position.

Cooke converted his first penalty of the day after 19 minutes to make it 2-1 at the break.

The Dabbers converted a second penalty in second half, though Scott Allison’s penalty gave the Reds a lifeline with 10 minutes to go.

However, Callum Saunders secured three points in final minute after capitalising on Aaran Taylor’s mistake.

Manager Dave Cooke made three changes from the side that drew with Grantham, as Nathan Cotterell, Joe Malkin and Matt Bell were replaced by Louis Barnes, James Lawrie and Callum Saunders.

Nantwich began well as Lawrie had an early chance. Barnes found Cooke inside, who knocked it to the former Northern Ireland international whose shot was just wide of the post.

The Dabbers wouldn’t have to wait long to take the lead as Cooke delivered a fine cross to the back post which found Saunders, who put in a neat ball to Glover to smash home.

nantwich town v workington 1

However, the Reds were level a minute later, as a ball high and long from Workington found its way to Walker, who lobbed Allinson to equalise.

The Reds could have taken the lead when Garry Thompson came close, though was denied by Allinson from short range.

Nantwich would take the lead a few minutes later, as they won a penalty that saw Cooke step up and fire home past Aaran Taylor.

Walker could have had a second equaliser on the half-hour mark, as a pass from Allinson to his defenders was misjudged, though the forward’s effort was missed.

danny glover scores for nantwich

After the break, Lawrie should have extended the lead after being found by Saunders, but the midfielder mis-read the opportunity.

Saunders soon after flicked the ball past Taylor, but it rolled and bobbled against the post and to safety.

The Dabbers had their second penalty on the hour mark as Saunders was tackled in the air, and Cooke converted once more to extend their lead.

With 15 minutes to go, Nantwich could have had a third penalty but Saunders was adjudged to have been brought down inches outside the box.

The free-kick was cleared away, a subsequent free-kick moments later was also tipped over from Cooke.

With 12 minutes remaining, Workington had a penalty of their own as Allison sent Allinson the wrong way and gave the Reds a lifeline as they looked to push for a point.

However, Nantwich would put the final nail in the coffin in the final minute as Saunders capitalised on a scuffed clearance from Taylor, and the striker managed to roll the ball into the bottom corner.

Nantwich now move on to take on another relegation-threatened side in Mickleover Sports next Saturday at the Weaver Stadium for a 3pm kick-off.

Nantwich: Allinson, Morgan, Barnes (Bell 87′), Stair, Mullarkey, Hughes (C), Bourne, Lawrie, Glover, Cooke (Mwasile 87′), Saunders. Subs not used: Hawkins (GK), Cotterell, McDonald

(Images courtesy of Jonathan White)

cooke celebrates penalty v workington

callum saunders scores for nantwich v workington

saunders celebrates v workington

aerial view workington v nantwich

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.