Toby Russell-Vick - hat-trick against Veseyans

Crewe & Nantwich RUFC eased to a fine victory away at Veseyans in their final away game of the season.

But it was a tougher test than the previous week’s 108-0 demolition of Telford to help prepare them for their Cheshire Cup final on April 20.

Crewe started slowly and Veseyans taking full advantage with a try and a penalty to lead 8-0 after 10 minutes.

Eventually, Crewe woke up and started to put pressure on the home side mixing the play between the forwards and backs, which eventually led to full back Toby Ward hitting the
line at pace for a good try converted by Creighton 8-7.

Another strong run from centre Toby Russell-Vick (pictured) saw him score in the corner for 8-12 and the half ended with no 8 Greg Saignes crashing over for a typical try to give Crewe a 8-19 advantage at the break.

Crewe started the second half in the same vein, with Colebourne at scrum half causing Veseyans all kinds of problems with his strong sniping runs.

It was from one of these surges that enabled quick ball to release Russell-Vick who again powered over in the corner, try well converted by Creighton 8-26.

This was followed by a try from replacement wing Zwijnen who broke a series of tackles on his way to the line again converted well by Creighton 8-33.

Zwijnen then received a yellow card when an attempted interception was ķnocked forward and deemed to be foul play.

Not long after, Veseyans made full use of the extra man scoring a try through their backs 15-33 and Crewe were under the cosh.

They defended well but were under pressure and their cause wasn’t helped by skipper McShane receiving a yellow card for not releasing at a ruck.

With the visitors two men down for a couple of minutes, Veseyans piled the pressure on.

Then from a quickly retreating Crewe scrum, Colebourne scooped the ball out of the back and set off on a scything run out of the 22.

He released Ward who made more ground before releasing Russell-Vick to go over for his hat-trick try, converted by Creighton 15-40 which was the final score.

Head coach John Farr said: “Perhaps a tricky hurdle following the game against Telford.

“The first 10 minutes certainly seemed to suggest it would be.

“However, the reality was that we were beating ourselves and just hadn’t turned up.

“Once we’d woken up, and got through the gears, Veseyans were never really in it.

“Overall, a very pleasing performance and another positive step towards finishing the season on a real high.

“A real team performance, however, George Colebourne and Toby Russell-Vick were exceptional.”

The 2nds also won 52-25 against Winnington Park.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.