copyright - altercation nantwich - County Lines charged and in court

Ten men from South Cheshire have been given Football Banning Orders (FBOs) after they were involved in disorder at a match between Macclesfield Town and Crewe Alexandra.

Towards the end of the game at the Moss Rose Stadium in Macclesfield both sides scored within a minute of each other.

The match finished 3-3 on Saturday February 9 and a number of Crewe fans invaded the pitch as well as some Macclesfield Town supporters.

At Stockport Magistrates’ Court on Monday (July 15), 10 men pleaded guilty to a number of offences and received three-year FBOs and fines.

Howard Barton, 58, of Hungerford Road, Crewe; John Griffiths, 53, of Newdigate Street, Crewe; Martin Jones, 56, of Sorbus Drive, Crewe; Adam Irwin, 19, of Mere Road, Weston; Jamie Whiteland, 19, of The Maples, Winsford; Aiden Wright, 18, of Abbey Park Way, Weston; Cameron Reed, 21, of Gainsborough Court, Crewe; and Wesley Gibbons, 23, of Chadwick Terrace, Macclesfield; all admitted going onto the playing area at a football match.

This is an offence under the Football Offences Act 1991.

Brandon Murrell, 19, of School Lane, Smallwood, also admitted going onto the playing area at a football match, as well as throwing a missile at a spectators’ area and a public order offence.

He had gone onto the pitch and ran towards the players’ tunnel and a group of Macclesfield Town supporters.

Murrell then avoided a number of punches before hitting someone in the ear.

He was then moved away from the rival fans by stewards.

At that point he bent down, picked something up off the floor and threw it at the Macclesfield Town supporters. He was then ushered off the pitch by stewards.

Jamie Thorpe, 26, of Western Avenue, Macclesfield, admitted going onto the playing area at a football match and a public order offence.

He went onto the pitch and threw three punches at a male who had walked over to the Macclesfield Town fans.

He then grabbed him around the neck before a steward intervened.

Thorpe then squared up to another man before being ushered off the pitch by a steward.

The banning orders stop all the men from going to any football matches for three years.

They must surrender their passport when there are international matches and they are not allowed to go to the city or town where an England international is being played.

PC Shayne Smith, dedicated football officer at Cheshire Constabulary, said: “These sentences show how seriously the courts take disorder at a football match.

“Spirits were high at the match because of the exciting end to the game, but that is no excuse to go onto the pitch and goad opposition supporters.”

Chief Inspector Simon Newell, of Crewe Local Policing Unit, said: “We want people attending football matches to enjoy themselves, making it a fun day out for all the family.

“If people attend these games with the intent of causing disorder, or actually cause disorder whilst they are there, we will ensure that all CCTV, mobile phone and body worn camera footage is reviewed and that those responsible are identified and brought to justice and that the appropriate sanctions in terms of football banning orders are secured against them.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.