Nantwich Town earned a fine 3-0 victory over local rivals Witton Albion on Bank Holiday Monday to maintain their 100% winning start to 2019-20.

The Dabbers eased to their win at the Weaver Stadium as the visitors frustration boiled over in the hot sun.

They were reduced to 10 men in the second half, but the three points had already been secured by Nantwich by the time Ryan O’Hare received two yellow cards in quick succession.

The visitors began brightly enough, with a couple of early half chances.

But Dave Cooke’s men soon wrestled control and took an early lead.

The lively Joe Mwasile was quickest react to a high cross from the right which was nodded back across the face of goal. He pounced to bundle the ball home from a few yards out.

Soon after, a fine Sean Cooke effort almost made it 2-0 as his rasper skimmed the crossbar.

Joe Malkin was then thwarted by the Witton keeper on 32 minutes.

But it wasn’t long before Nantwich doubled their advantage.

First-half - second Nantwich goal - Sean Cooke prepares to fire his freekick (1)

This time, Cooke got his free-kick technique spot-on and curled a beauty over the wall and into the corner, giving the keeper no chance.

James Lawrie and Cooke had efforts off target before the break, with Nantwich in total control.

Soon after the break, full-back Casper Hughes went close firing over the crossbar from 20 yards.

Witton’s best chance of the game came on 58 minutes.

First-half - second Nantwich goal - Sean Cooke freekick beats Witton keeper Chris Renshaw into the bottom corner (1)

A free-kick was headed goalwards but cleared off the line by the scrambling Nantwich defence.

The Dabbers sealed all three points on 62 minutes when a cross from the right found Mwasile at the back post who fired home from an acute angle.

Jamie Lawrie was denied a fourth for Nantwich by a fine Renshaw save, before Witton’s fate was sealed with O’Hare’s red card with 20 minutes remaining.

Nantwich saw out the game comfortably and are now second in Bet Victor Northern Premier League, with only Matlock Town the other club with a 100% record so far.

They return to action this Saturday (August 31) with a road trip to Atherton Collieries.

(pictures by Jonathan White)

First-half - Nantwich Towns Joe Davis gets to the ball first (1)

First-half - Joe Malkin battles for the ball under pressure (1)

First-half - captain Caspar Hughes wrong-foots Witton defender James Short leaving him on the deck (1)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.