Iain Howard, new Nantwich Town signing

Nantwich Town will count themselves unlucky after going down to a 3-1 defeat away at Whitby Town, writes Richard Scott.

The Dabbers hit the woodwork twice and scored from the spot, but despite creating a hatful of other chances they couldn’t take them.

Boss Danny Johnson gave a second half debut to Chris Amadi, who joined the Dabbers on Friday night.

And in an entertaining first half, it was Nantwich who could have been ahead after two minutes when an Andy White cross found Iain Howard (pictured).

His powerful volley was saved by Shane Bland.

Whitby had a couple of half chances, but the Dabbers defence was on hand to stop them from testing Dave Stevenson.

On 11 minutes Howard could have opened his Nantwich account when Aaron Burns teed him up for a dipping volley which just went over.

Two minutes later White hit the post as he raced forward, as the Dabbers continued to dominate.

But the hosts took a shock lead on 18 minutes when Matt Waters’ shot from distance hit the post and rolled into the net.

Burns almost levelled with a free kick straight at the keeper who had to parry the shot.

Nantwich hit the woodwork for the second time when Kosylo’s back-heeled effort thumped the crossbar.

Whitby should have made it 2-0 when a header across goal found Lee Bullock who hit his shot straight at Stevenson.

Soon after they did double their advantage when Mat Bailey pulled back a player inside the area and gave away a penalty.

Dave McTiernan’s spot-kick sent Stevenson the wrong way.

Nantwich should have scored two minutes later when Kosylo forced their keeper out of the area. He rushed his clearance, which fell to Pearson. His shot was flicked on by Kosylo but was cleared by a defender.

The woodwork was stuck for a third time when Whitby’s Lee Meason smashed a shot against the post.

Then Kosylo crossed to Howard, who teed up Bailey but his shot trickled wide.

The end-to-end contest continued after the break, but despite Nantwich pressure, Whitby made it 3-0 when they broke forward and McTiernan turned home on the hour.

Mark Winslade came on for Kyle Blake as Nantwich looked for a way back into the game.

On 71 minutes, the Dabbers were awarded a penalty when Howard was dragged to the floor. Howard dusted himself down and sent the keeper the wrong way to open his account.

Burns could have added a second when the ball ran across to him but his shot was off target.

Winslade then went close twice in a matter of minutes with two strikes which went wide.

Amadi, who replaced Kosylo, showed his skill down the byline but couldn’t pull it back to a Nantwich striker.

Anthony Sheenan’s  free kick in the final minutes was almost converted by Bailey and then Pearson but the ball just would not go in.

The Dabbers are back in action on Tuesday (October 28) when they welcome Stourbridge to the Weaver Stadium.

Nantwich Town: Stevenson, K.Harrop, White, Blake, Pearsons, Bailey (C), Koslyo, Meaney, Burns, Sheenhan and Howard
Subs: Winslade (on for Blake, 61 minutes), Clayton, Wilson, Green and Amadi (on for Kosylo, 79 minutes)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.