Nantwich Town V Curzon Ashton

Nantwich Town were beaten 2-1 by second-placed Curzon Ashton, despite proving more than match for them at the Weaver Stadium, writes Richard Scott.

Dabbers boss Danny Johnson was able to name the same 16 that won so convincingly at Belper the previous Saturday.

Nantwich had the better of the opening five minutes getting a number of balls into the box but weren’t able to test Curzon keeper Cameron Mason.

However, the Dabbers got their reward on 13 minutes.

Harry Clayton’s cross deflected off defender Darren Thornton and into the back of the net.

The hosts continued to dominate as they looked to get in behind.

Joe Guest was booked for the visitors on 23 minutes as he brought down Matty Kosylo on the byline.

The first chance for Curzon fell on 33 minutes when captain Sam Walker hit a free kick, which flew a foot wide of the goal.

The visitors finished the half on the up with Mark Jones and Andy White both having to conceded corners to stop Curzon.

After the break, Mark Winslade almost added a second for Nantwich, inches from converting Kosylo’s whipped cross.

The move of the game came four minutes into the second half when Howard won the ball from a Curzon Ashton corner.

He played a 1-2 with Kosylo and released Clayton on the opposite flank, who was denied by last ditch defending.

Curzon were level eight minutes into the second half when Cummins caught Terry Smith off his line and lobbed the Dabbers keeper.

Nantwich were almost ahead again when Winslade rounded the keeper and pulled the ball back for Clayton but missed the flying midfielder before Koslyo latched onto the loose ball and blazed over the bar.

Steve Jones and Max Harrop came on for Clayton and Koslyo.

Both teams continued to press for the winner in the final 20 minutes.

Mat Bailey will be wondering how he didn’t have his first goal of the season as his header from a Howard corner was headed off the line.

At the other end, Ryan Brooke should have scored after his original shot was saved, but he blasted over the rebound.

Seconds later though he did give the visitors the lead, when he rifled a strike into the bottom corner giving Smith no chance.

Steve Jones almost repeated his goal from last week, after Mark Jones played him in, but Mason was able to turn it behind for a corner.

The Dabbers pushed for an equalizer, when an Adam Pepper free kick was headed forward by Harrop but it was wide of the goal.

Aaron Burns was sent on in place of Pepper for the last few minutes as Nantwich looked in vain for the equalizer they deserved.

The Dabbers are next in action on Saturday as they visit Ilkeston FC in the league.

Nantwich Town: Smith, Disney, White, M.Jones (C), Pearson, Bailey, Kosylo, Pepper, Winslade, Clayton and Howard
Subs: Dowling, Burns (on for Pepper, 88 minutes), Harrop (on for Clayton, 64 minutes), Blake and S.Jones (on for Kosylo, 64 minutes)

(Pictures courtesy of Simon J Newbury Photography)

Nantwich Town V Curzon Ashton

Nantwich Town V Curzon Ashton

Nantwich Town V Curzon Ashton

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.