Ben Harrison celebrates the third Nantwich goal with Sean Cooke who provided the cross

Nantwich Town progressed to the last four of the Cheshire Senior Cup after beating local neighbours 1874 Northwich 3-1 at the Weaver Stadium.

Two Ben Harrison strikes eased the Dabbers comfortably into the semi-finals – with a potential final against Crewe Alexandra still on the cards.

The first good chance came on 10 minutes when Sean Cooke released Ryan Brooke on the right of goal.

He advanced and shot from the edge of the area, but it lacked power and Hall gathered comfortably.

The Dabbers controlled possession and territory, but 1874 were swift on the break every chance they got.

Sam Hall fired a shot well over before Cooke tested Hall from 25 yards, which the keeper pushed past the post.

Cooke was at the centre of the Dabbers’ best moves and he again let fly, but dragged a left footed shot wide of goal.

The game burst into life in the last 10 minutes of the half.

After a number of corners, the Dabbers finally got the breakthrough their possession had deserved.

A well-flighted delivery from Cooke was met by Harrison and the towering defender put a perfectly placed header past Hall and in off the post.

Ben Harrison heads the first goal from a Sean Cooke corner

But they were pegged back within two minutes.

A free kick was cleared, but the ball hit the referee on the edge of the area and fell into the path of 1874 winger Tyler Edwards.

He turned and fired first time through a crowd of bodies, finding the bottom corner.

After a regroup at the break, Nantwich came out clearly determined to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Mwasile again found space, cutting inside before shooting low at the near post. Hall was down quickly to save his shot.

Hall had no chance with the Dabbers next effort, as quick interplay between Mwasile and Brooke saw the latter get the ball with room to shoot.

He made no mistake, curling superbly into the far corner to put the home side back in front.

Ryan Brooke scores the second goal for Nantwich

After a lull in play, the Dabbers grabbed a third just before the hour mark.

Another Cooke free-kick was swung into the box and a glancing header from Harrison beat Hall and in off the post.

Dabbers boss Phil Parkinson brought on Joe Howell for his debut, replacing Riley.

Soon after Troy Bourne came on for Andy White who limped off.

Ben Harrison scores the third Nantwich goal from another Sean Cooke set piece

The Dabbers looked for a fourth to kill the game, and Cooke again went close curling wide from the edge of the box.

From another Nantwich break, 1874 captain Matt Woolley went into the book for a cynical trip on Mwasile as he looked to get down the left.

Cooke was in the thick of the action and from another Dabbers attack, he fed Cottrell, who cut inside and shot straight at Hall.

1874 battled on well and forced some pressure in the final 10 minutes.

But the Dabbers defence held firm and Brooke forced an excellent save from Hall down low on the counter-attack.

The hosts closed out the game and set up a semi-final against Warrington Town. The winners will face either Crewe Alex or Hyde United in the final.

Nantwich Town: Dan Gyollai, Andy White(Troy Bourne, 63), Ibou Touray, Joel Stair, Ben Harrison, Sam Hall(c), Oscar Durnin(Nathan Cottrell, 51), Wayne Riley(Joe Howell, 59), Ryan Brooke, Joe Mwasile. Unused subs: Krystian Burzynski, Danny Griggs

(pics by Jonathan White)

Sean Cooke on the ball
Ryan Brooke challenges for the ball

Ibou Touray on the ball

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.