Crewe & Nantwich RUFC 1sts are just one win away from a dramatic playoff final which could see them promoted.

The Vagrants side, who beat Old Saltians 43-7 at the weekend, need to win away at Stafford this Saturday to secure their playoff final spot.

That playoff final is scheduled to be played on Saturday April 26 against Midlands West 1 South runners up, with Banbury currently favourite.

And if Crewe win, they will be promoted to Midlands North 1 or North West 1.

Coach Andy Brown said: “It is all to play for after a long demanding season and the focus now is all on Stafford as this is now an essential piece of the jigsaw.

“I received a text from my old school colleague, Ian Gittens, Head Coach of Leek wishing us every success at Stafford and hoping that we join them next year in Midlands 1.

“A lovely gesture by a well respected Coach and shows the value of rugby friends and respect between the clubs.

“Our destiny is now in our hands and there will be no complacency for the final game against Stafford,” Brown added.

On Saturday, Crewe’s players suffered from some early nerves and a few wayward passes and dropped balls littered the first 10 minutes.

It led to an interception try by the Old Saltians centre who ran the length of the pitch for a converted try.

But five minutes later a slick handling movement started by flanker Josh Collins to centres Reuben Davies and Joe Gammage and to fullback Toby Ward to score brought Crewe back into the game, converted by fly-half Jamie Little.

Little then slotted a long range penalty, and on 22 minutes a decisive line break by Oli Buckley off-loading to Gammage allowed Davies to chip through the defence and gather his own kick to score an uncoverted try.

Crewe took control and there was no looking back.

Little slotted another penalty kick, before tries by Gammage and Matt Standley piled on the points before the break.

In the second period, further tries by Thom Vanstone and Ward, converted by Little, completed the scoring.

The only negative was a serious injury to 2nd row Jack Brooks, who suffered a dislocated ankle and broken leg.

The 22-year-old is in hospital awaiting an operation but is already planning his rugby comeback for next season.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.