Second-half v Mickleover - Joe Mwasile is consoled by Scott McGowan after his shot is wide of the target (1)

Nantwich Town’s five-game unbeaten run came crashing down with a 4-0 home defeat by in-form Mickleover FC, writes Jack Beresford.

Dave Cooke’s men started the game the brighter of the two sides and their first opportunity came after just two minutes.

Scott McGowan picked up a loose ball and drove into the box, as the Mickleover defenders applied the pressure to him he shot straight at the keeper.

Two minutes later the Dabbers had another good opportunity as Sean Cooke picked up the ball in the middle of park before finding Callum Saunders who saw his low shot saved well by the keeper.

In the eighth minute, the visitors had their first chance as Andrew Wright saw his long range shot well saved by Greg Hall was able to tip the strike around the post.

After a good start for The Dabbers they had let Mickleover into the game and they were starting to dominate.

In the 18th minute they made their domination count as Nantwich failed to clear a corner and the ball eventually fell to Phil Watt who fired his low strike into the bottom corner from the left side of the box.

Greg Hall got a hand to it, but couldn’t keep it out.

The visitors were now pushing to double their lead.

In the 28th minute former Wycombe Wanderers strike Stuart Beavon rattled the post with a strike from the left side of the box.

Second-half - Scott McGowan challenges Mickleover keeper Callum Hawkins for the ball (1)

And four minutes later Mason Warren got on the end of a loose Prince Haywood back pass.

Warren looked to lift it over the on rushing Hall but his chip went just wide.

The visitors came close to scoring once again in the 34th minute, as Beavon dispossessed Haywood before he found George Milner who was unmarked in the box,.

The Mickleover midfielder had acres of space but all he could do was drag his shot well wide.

The half-time break did not help Nantwich, and just two minutes into the second period, the visitors doubled their lead.

Jake Bennett won the ball on the edge of the box before cutting inside and firing low past Hall to make the score 2-0.

The Dabbers were guilty of individual errors, Mike Koral the next culprit as he fell over his own feet, which allowed Adam Wright to pounce before firing straight at Hall.

Sean Cooke was tripped on the edge of the area in a dangerous position for the left footed Callum Saunders.

The Welshman got his freekick up and over wall, but it just whistled the wrong side of the post.

First-half - Scott McGowan crosses the ball (1)

The visitors killed the game on the hour mark as the dangerous Beavon raced through on goal before squaring to Patrick Webb who beat at the back post.

In the 65th minute, sub Joe Mwasile was sent on and he linked up well with McGowan before the latter missed from close range.

Mwasile came close again moments later after Josh Langley found him with a ball in the from right, however he fired over.

With five minutes left the away side were still looking to add more goals.

And in the 86th minute they bagged a fourth as George Milner fired towards goal.

Hall got down well to save but it fell to former Crewe Alex loanee Aman Verma who fired home the rebound.

After the game, Dabbers boss Dave Cooke said: “It was a disappointing day at the office, they were miles better than us on the night.

“Defeats are all part of football though and we know have a month to put things right.”

The Nantwich manager also praised the supporters who have covered a lot of miles over the last two months.

“A big thanks to the supporters. We hope they stay safe and we will see you after lockdown,” he added.

(Images courtesy of Jonathan White)

First-half - Mickleover shot is over the bar (1)

First-half - Mike Koral challenges for the ball (1)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.


Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.