Campaigners fight plan for Audlem Road, Nantwich, where new Wainhomes development will be

Campaigners have welcomed a decision by councillors to reject for a second time a plan to build 104 homes on land off Audlem Road in Nantwich.

The controversial plan, for land behind Brine Leas School in Stapeley, was first rejected in November by Cheshire East Council.

Wainhomes revised its plan and the latest application was considered today (July 13) by Cheshire East Council’s strategic planning board.

But despite planning officers recommending it for approval, councillors voted to reject it.

Campaigners like Pat Cullen, of Protect Stapeley, have fought the application because of its impact on traffic along the narrow A529 Audlem Road, as well as cause a loss of green space and increase pressure on schools and health services.

Mr Cullen spoke for 90 seconds at today’s planning board.

He told Nantwichnews: “This application was refused on grounds of highways issues to do with the proposed access and the narrowing of the A529, Audlem Road.

“The site is not identified as a strategic site in the emerging Local Plan and the Local Plan Inspector has accepted, in principle, Cheshire East’s housing numbers and spatial distribution, which does not include this site.

“Residents will wonder what is the purpose of all the Local Plan consultation when developers simply ignore local voices and Cheshire East Council.

“As application 16/0856N was refused today, I fully expect Wainhomes to appeal the decision to the Planning Inspectorate which will then initiate yet another Public Inquiry!

“What a crazy system we have.”

Cllr Peter Groves, who represents Nantwich South and Stapeley on Cheshire East, welcomed the decision.

“This is the second time it has been rejected.

“However, it is going to go to appeal, probably in early September, so we’ll have to wait and see how we get on then.”

Wainhomes already has permission for around 40 homes on a smaller parcel of land on the same site after winning an appeal over original rejection in 2014.

In September last year, the developer and Brine Leas School announced the new bid for development of 104 properties, which would free up expansion space for the school.

An inquiry is due to take place on September 6-9 into that initial planning application.

One Comment

  1. david greaves says:

    I totally oppose this proposed development and will do all I can to help stop it

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website, to learn more please read our privacy policy.

*

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.