Post Tagged with: "travellers"

Jepsons staff fury after gang targets store and assaults employee in Nantwich

Jepsons staff fury after gang targets store and assaults employee in Nantwich

An angry Nantwich store boss told how a gang of four men stole hundreds of pounds of items and assaulted the 66-year-old owner as he gave chase.

Phil Hinton, manager of Jepsons menswear on Hospital Street, said furious staff chased after the gang who they believe were part of an unauthorised travellers group on Barony Park.

July 16, 2019
Travellers served with Section 77 on Barony Park in Nantwich

Travellers served with Section 77 on Barony Park in Nantwich

A Section 77 notice has been served on the latest group of travellers to set up an unauthorised encampment on Barony Park in Nantwich, authorities said.

Nantwich Town Council was told tonight (July 11) that the notice means they have to leave by tomorrow evening or face court action.

July 11, 2019
New travellers transit site “in near future” pledges Cheshire East leader

New travellers transit site “in near future” pledges Cheshire East leader

By Stephen Topping, local democracy reporter
Cheshire East Council chiefs are determined to secure a transit site for gypsies and travellers – but the council’s new leader admits it will not be popular with neighbours.

Cheshire East Council is considering whether to revive plans for a transit site at Cledford Hall in Middlewich following a spate of unauthorised encampments in the borough, including five on Barony Park in Nantwich this year.

July 10, 2019
Readers’ Letters: Barony Park injunction not “silver bullet” to stop travellers

Readers’ Letters: Barony Park injunction not “silver bullet” to stop travellers

Dear editor
Last week’s front page of the Chronicle seemed to be ‘givin it large’ about Kieran Mullan’s suggestion that Cheshire East Council needs to apply for an injunction to prevent travellers occupying the Barony Park, as though an injunction is the “silver bullet” to prevent further occupation.

July 7, 2019
David Marren

Nantwich councillor to appeal after being expelled by local Conservative party

A Nantwich town councillor expelled by his own Conservative party for comments over the Barony Park travellers issue, says he will appeal the decision.

Cllr David Marren was suspended initially over his comments which laid the blame at the former Cheshire East Council Conservative ruling party for a lack of action over securing the park.

June 24, 2019
Cledford Hall considered again for transit travellers site

Cledford Hall considered again for transit travellers site

By Stephen Topping
Cledford Hall is again being considered as a transit site for gypsies and travellers as Cheshire East Council deals with a rise in illegal encampments.

Cheshire East Council gained planning permission for a transit site at Cledford Hall, in Middlewich, back in 2015 – but that lapsed last year after no work had begun on the site within three years.

June 12, 2019
Barony Park leisure facilities closed after latest unauthorised traveller encampment

Barony Park leisure facilities closed after latest unauthorised traveller encampment

Bosses of Barony Park sports complex has been closed in Nantwich amid the latest unauthorised traveller encampment.

Everybody said the decision has been made today for staff and customer “safety” reasons.

June 10, 2019
Nantwich Mayor pledges public meeting to agree Barony Park barriers

Nantwich Mayor pledges public meeting to agree Barony Park barriers

Nantwich Mayor Arthur Moran has pledged to stage a public meeting to plot a way forward in tackling unauthorised traveller camps on Barony Park.

Cllr Moran made the suggestion at a town council meeting last night (May 16) where scores of angry residents living by the park vented their frustration.

May 17, 2019
Cheshire East responds to critics over Barony Park traveller encampments

Cheshire East responds to critics over Barony Park traveller encampments

Angry residents are set to descend on Nantwich Town Council this week amid ongoing concerns around unauthorised traveller camps on Barony Park.

The fourth group of travellers to use the public park for an encampment arrived on Sunday – just an hour after the UK Triathlon event had finished.

May 16, 2019
Residents and councillors demand Barony Park action from Cheshire East Council

Residents and councillors demand Barony Park action from Cheshire East Council

Angry Nantwich residents have called on Cheshire East Council to build perimeter fencing around Barony Park after it emerged the authority has potentially earmarked part of a £2 million investment for the work.

It comes after families lost use of the park for more than a week when the latest illegal traveller encampment parked on the site between Good Friday April 19 and Saturday April 27.

April 29, 2019
Nantwich Barony Park ‘transfer’ could help resolve travellers issue

Nantwich Barony Park ‘transfer’ could help resolve travellers issue

Nantwich Town councillors could request Barony Park be transferred to them from Cheshire East Council in a bid to resolve ongoing issues with unauthorised traveller encampments.

The idea was mooted at last night’s Nantwich Town Council where members of the public, police and councillors discussed how to prevent traveller groups gaining access to the park.

July 13, 2018
Barony Park travellers in Nantwich have until midday to leave

Barony Park travellers in Nantwich have until midday to leave

The latest group of travellers camped on Barony Park in Nantwich have until midday today to leave, council chiefs said.

Enforcement officers served a Section 77 Notice on the travellers yesterday to leave by noon.

July 10, 2018
Council teams deal with latest illegal traveller encampment in Nantwich

Council teams deal with latest illegal traveller encampment in Nantwich

Cheshire East Council enforcement teams are dealing with another illegal traveller encampment on Barony Park in Nantwich.

The travellers arrived yesterday afternoon (July 6), three weeks after a previous group left following a week-long stay on the park and nearby Volunteer Fields which involved two court applications.

July 7, 2018